Monday, February 23, 2009

NEW TUTORIAL FOR THE GARDENER!!!


NEW TUTORIAL FOR THE GARDENER!!!



It all started with this little apron I picked up for a $1.00 (the white one). I wanted to fancy it up and add garden items to it for my Sister-In-Laws Birthday. Well that just wouldn't work, well it could but you might as well sew a new one. I had these dish towels and my mind started going. Just think of all the things you can do. Personalize it, applique on it or even add jewels all over. So here is a fast little project to make.




Make one top pocket by folding up a 6" pleat and about 2" from the top edge



Now fold another pleat to make 2nd pocket. I folded it where the bottom of each pocket meets.





Sew the bottom of the pockets. I lifted the front edge and sewed the bottom edge. Does that make since? Look at picture below. That seam catches both pockets. The lower edge now lays a little bit further down in the front over the pocket seam. I would give measurements but each dish towel is different in size.





Sew along the side of the apron through all layers. You also need to sew through all layers to make pockets. I did two seams to have three pockets.






I cut 3 strips from a fat quarter, that measured 2"X18". This will be the band and ties. Plus another piece for the loop that measured 2"X 7". Sew the 3 pieces together and then fold in half and sew lengthwise, 1/4" seam. This piece will then measure 1"X 54". I left a opening in the center of this long piece to turn. I have a picture but it turned out blurry. Turn and iron.






You also need to sew the 2"X7" piece for the loop. Turn and press.



Lay the loop up at the top of the apron and center the band and tie length piece over it. You need to center the band on the towel at this time.


Pin in place, I put the band over the very top edge, so the towel is not showing. Sew over both edges, top and bottom, of band catching towel and loop in seams.




The towel I used had a loop on the wrong side to put a towel through. This makes it great for a gardener to have a towel for wiping hands.




Add a few seeds and a pair of gloves.


Every lady need a pair of pruning clippers. The towel is hanging on the side.

Hope you know someone that you could make a fast gift for.

Sew Simple.

25 comments:

Julia said...

I am totally impressed with this picture essay on how to do this. I am going to add you on the blog roll tomorrow and I would like to do a little feature on your site in the next two weeks.

Stina Blomgren said...

Bonnie..I love this idea!!! Thankyou for the wonderful tutorial!! :o)

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Wish I was your sister in law!
Great gift.
Osagebluffquilter

Abby and Stephanie said...

Cute! Or it could be handsome...depending on the gardener. Great tutorial.

Melanie said...

I'm making one for my Mom. She's a gardener and would love this. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

So clever! I always see dish towels on clearance at my local Target and think that there must be something I could make with them. I don't like to pass up a good bargain, but I also don't like to buy things just to buy them. Now I know what I can make with those great dish towels when they are marked down to practically nothing! These would be great to sell at the school fair.

Thanks!

MGM

Amy R said...

Bonnie - What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. . . amy R in south Lyon, MI

andsewon said...

Bonnie ..another niffty idea!! I shared your link. I bet I get requests from a few gals to make them one for Mom's Day!!
They can fill 'em though!!
I may just do me up something like this for my sewing apron...;-)
Lola

countrygarden said...

neat idea! i love aprons too and have a seasonal/holiday collection. this would be a fun one to add.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie,

Your tutorials are the best!!! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Bee Haven Bev said...

WONDERFUL idea, Bonnie...I will most definitely be needing one of these this summer! Thanks for posting the tutorial...and thanks for thinking of me!

Carrie P. said...

You are so smart. Great idea.

Tudy said...

How cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

trish said...

What a great tutorial! :o)
I have a silly question (keep in mind I am new at sewing and pretty much teaching myself as I go along)... What is a fat quarter? Is that a quarter of fabric?
Please don't laugh too loud! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Kaaren said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. My friend's birthday is coming up and she's an avid gardener. What a perfect gift this would make.

This is my first visit to your blog and it certainly won't be my last! Amazing stuff!

Dawn said...

Bonnie..I love it!! Thank you for a fantastic tutorial!

Sarah said...

Great tutorial! Thank you so much! I have a SIL that this would be great for.

Julia said...

Hey do you have a regular old button for your site or am I just blind and it's already there? And would you be interested in an apron promo at The Apron Goddesses in June?

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Great gardener's apron, Bonnie. I don't garden much (my thumb is dark brown), but if I did, I'd want me that apron.
Speaking of aprons--I got mine and my other goodies yesterday. Thank you so so so much. I love everything. The towel made me laugh it's so cute. I immediately hung it over Gertrude's oven door. I'm going to blog about everything today. Thanks again for your generosity and lovely work.

Sherri said...

This is a terrific tutorial!!! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Arlette said...

Fabulous tutorial and what a wonderful and useful apron! I'm sure your sis-in-law is going to love it!
Aloha!

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Bonnie,
Thanks so much for this...I love this idea, so clever and you can use it for other things too.
~Karen~

Nanette Merrill said...

So incredibly cute!

Jennifer Paganelli said...

great idea!!!

YankeeQuilter said...

These would make great aprons to wear while setting up for our next quilt show...never enough pockets for the safety pins, clothes pins, layout sheets, cell phone....thanks for the tutorial!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...