Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pincushion Tutorial

Pincushion Tutorial







Instructions for Pincushion


I worked with fat quarters and had six lights, six darks and a different fat quarter for the center. Now you can make a lot out of this, just the one strip out of each fat quarter (1-1/4" X 18") made me two pincushions. I made two Log Cabins one way and then reversed the fabric layout. Now make two more Log Cabin blocks. You know at this time with the economy, you need to get as much as you can out of what you got. So very little fabric has to be used.




Cutting information


Cut 6 light strips 1-1/4" X 18"



Cut 6 dark strips 1-1/4 X 18"



Cut 4 center squares 2"



For heirloom puffing you need a strip for the outside 2-1/2" X WOF, I had some 54" wide fabric that I used but you can use 45" wide fabric.



For lining you need about 9" of muslin or whatever you have extra. From this cut two pieces the same size as the log cabin and a piece that measures 2-1/4" X 19" for heirloom puffing









Making Log Cabin



With right sides together, stitch a 1-1/4" X 18" light strip to a 2" square. Press the seam allowance toward the outside strip, I press the same direction all through the making of the log cabin. Trim the strip even with the edge of the center square.



Turn the two piece unit to the right a quarter turn. Stitch a light strip to the two piece unit. Press and trim the edges of this strip even with the edges of the two piece unit.



Working counter clockwise around the center square, continue adding alternating light and dark, strips to complete the Log Cabin block. Log Cabin blocks should measure 6-1/2" square. This site will explain a log cabin step by step. http://www.equilters.com/library/logcabin/easy_log_cabin_part3.html




After making log cabin block, cut a template circle measuring 6-1/2" in diameter and cut the 2 Log Cabins and 2 linings. I had a bowl that measured this. Stitch around edge of log cabin and lining to hold in place.


Gather on both sides of the 2-1/2" X WOF for heirloom puffing. Pin to 2-1/4" X 19" piece and gather to fit. I find it better to have the lining a 1/4" smaller than the heirloom puffing piece. After sewing both long sides close to edge, just to secure all the gathered edge, sew seams to form circle. Pin edges right sides together, Log Cabin block, oh it's not a block anymore, (circle) to heirloom puffing piece and sew a 3/8" seam. Be sure and leave an opening for turning on one side. Stuff it tight and add a button in the center. I sewed two antique glass button and pulled it tight in the middle.



If you have any questions, just let me know.



About giveaway, I'll have to take pictures tomorrow, I need to get film developed so I can take more. Sorry.







15 comments:

Stina Blomgren said...

Thankyou Bonnie...I have been so curious since yesterday...and I love this one...so thanks for the tutorial... you have done a wonderful job on them... :o)

Raggedy Angel said...

That is wonderful...thank you so much! Beth

Rebecka said...

Bonnie,
Your pincushion is beautiful. Love it..Thanks for the great idea and showing us how you made it.
Have a Great Weekend,
Rebecka

Unknown said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I just love it and will add it on my list of too many to do's. LOL

Marlene

Cheryl said...

Great tutorial Bonnie - Thanks!!! I need to make a pincushion for someone! Great timing :-)!!

Carrie P. said...

How cute. I love the puffy sides.

Catherine said...

Beautiful Pin Cushion! Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

Cathy

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Absolutely adorable!!!!!!!! Love it!

Love and blessings,
Brook

Anonymous said...

Hello Bonnie, at last I can catch up with you.DD fiddled with my blog and I lost all my favourites.Plus, physically, just have not had time to do what I love most, browsing the sites. Thank You for the Tutorial and your generosity.Regards Lyn

Art by Ronda Juniper Ray said...

This is absolutely FANTASTIC! I MUST make one for my mother for Christmas! And one for me, too!

Art by Ronda Juniper Ray said...

PS Your color choices for this sweet pin cushion inspired me! I've had a window on the easel for an entire day that I couldn't decide what colorway to choose -- your blues finally made the choice clear!

THANK YOU!

annapaola said...

BEAUTIFUL....
very beautiful..
ciao
ciao
annapaola
tuscany
italy

Nanna said...

ohh I love that!
Helen

Anonymous said...

I love your works
they are beautiful
have a good day
JOsefina
tijerasycuchara.wordpress.com

Lanetta said...

Thank you for this lovely tutorial! My favorite quilt block turned into a pincushion... love it! I've shared your link in my article today! http://lanettascreations.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-pincushion-evolution.html#.UiXAWTasiSo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...